[pct-l] trekking poles with lever lock

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 19 07:39:14 CDT 2011

Good morning, Zinger,

I think extra-tight pole locks can create mischief.  I find the average
twist-locks perfectly good, and I don’t make them overly tight.  Very
aggressive locks do not allow the pole to perform the function of collapsing
a few inches when an unusually high force is applied, and there is a
distinct risk of the pole buckling and breaking rather than just
slipping.  I’ve
ruined two poles in that way when instead I could have easily readjusted a
short, harmless slippage.

If I thought I had to pitch my tarp in such a way as to withstand heavy snow
I could just adjust the lock more tightly.  More likely I would opt to pitch
the tarp in a more sheltered, wooded area where not only would there be less
snow, but also the front and rear lines could be tied-out to trees at an
upward angle rather than at a downward angle to the ground, thereby easing
the load on the pole.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09