[pct-l] Microspike sizing

Colin Stryker colin.stryker at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 02:36:48 CDT 2011

Hi all.  There has been some discussion recently about use of traction aids
on the PCT, especially through San Jacinto and the Sierras.  We both have
some experience with crampons in winter conditions but the bulk of opinion
seems to be that full crampons are overkill for the PCT and possibly even
dangerous.  Therefore I think we have settled on Kahtoola Microspikes as the
traction aid of choice, although we are a bit concerned about some reviews
that suggest they can occasionally suffer broken grommets.  Any general
comments on this that add to the recent discussion would be welcome (but no
need to repeat the information that has come out in the last few weeks - I
read this forum religiously!).

My more specific question is: the Kahtoola web site suggests size Small for
women's 8.5 and under, and Medium for women's 8.5 to 11.  My fiancee wears a
size 8.5, so she is on the fence about whether to go S or M.  I looked at
some discussion that suggested that going smaller would be better than going
larger ... does anyone have any opinion on this or experience being on the
fence regarding sizes?

Thanks!

Colin