[pct-l] Poison oak - Seiad Valley to Ashland

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 18 23:35:44 CDT 2011

Hey Mush-Shroomer,

I'm surprised that, by now, realizing all the time you have spent mushroom
hunting in N.California, and all the times you have suffered from PO, you have
not immunized yourself to poison oak. I did it over 20 years ago and have not
had it since.

I used to get it every year - more than once each year. I first got it really
bad when I was in grammar school and lived in Southern California. I had it so
bad that one eye was completely closed by blisters and I remember that I could
only see out of the other eye through a very narrow slit. I had it several times
after that - a very bad case when I was in the Army and stationed at Fort Ord
and living off post in Carmel Village. My wife and I both got it that time. It
was winter and we were hiking in Point Lobos Reserve. We got PO from the bare
branches.  After that I learned to recognize it in all seasons and rarely got
it. It helps if you wash off as soon as possible with an oil-based soap. I used
Dove.

In the early 1980's we had discovered horses and bought a ranch in
Comptche. There was lots of Poison Oak on our ranch and in many places where we
rode and hiked (and picked mushrooms) on the Mendocino Coast. I started getting
PO again, but not as bad as before (but bad)  even tho I washed. I would get it
at least three times a year. Knowing what it looked like didn't help much
because our dogs, our cats, and our horses would have it on their coats and I
would get it from them. The horses would walk right through it while grazing and
even sometimes eat it. I could not avoid touching them.

So, I had heard of poison oak immunization pills, and also drops. I knew and
learned of others who had immunized themselves. Two brothers, who owned
a Comptche ranch near ours (third generation) worked around PO all the time but
never got it. They raised cattle and logged. They claimed that they were born
immune to PO. How lucky. And they  were not Native Americans. When I tried to
buy the pills I found that they were no longer available.  They had been taken
off the market - perhaps because some people got PO from the pills - perhaps
they were super sensitive - or perhaps they overdosed. Then I discussed the
subject with my doctor. Dr. Robinson was unconventional, a country doctor who
was very well respected in my area. He was into a holistic remedies and
treatments that the Fort Bragg doctors were not aware of or didn't believe in.
As I recall, he pointed out that what the PO immunization pills included was an
extract from the Poison Oak plant. You swallow them and over time, gradually
develop a resistance and finally an immunity to PO. You don't get PO internally.
Not inside your mouth, in your throat, in your stomach or in your intestines.
You can get it in your lungs from the smoke of burning PO. That can be fatal!

So, here is what I did - and it worked for me!  I hesitate to even tell about it
on this list because when I did in 2008, two or three doctors gave me a lot of
flack claiming that "No one is immune to PO". "It is impossible to immunize
yourself". One doctor from Germany even said that if you do what I did you would
get it inside your body - even in your intestines. She said, "This could kill
you." One or two hikers who posted in claimed that they had successfully
immunized themselves with the pills. One claimed that he had become free of PO
for 18 years. He said that he used to get it often.

Oh yah, I was going to tell you how I immunized myself. Since the pills were no
longer available I decided to swallow leaves. Please note that I did not say I
"ate" them. No chewing.I started with a very small leaf - the size of a
dime. Dr. R. said to be very cautious and use a tweezers and a mirror and wash
it down with lots of water. Then wait three or four days. ( I should mention
that I made a mistake the first time and allowed some of the PO oil to mix with
my saliva and got a little PO on my lips. I learned from that to carefully
 place the leaf on my tongue and then immediately swallow it with lots of water
- two full glasses)  If no reaction repeat but with a slightly larger leaf. I
always waited three or four days between leaves. At the end of more than two
weeks I was up to a quarter-size leaf with no reaction. Since you can get PO
externally, I always washed my butt hole with soap and water after a BM.  I
repeated this treatment for the next two years. It has been over twenty years
since I have had PO. Same horses, same ranch, until I moved to Agua Dulce nearly
four years ago. There is quite a bit of PO in places in the canyons of Vasques
Rocks Park. There is an obscure, hard to find trail (secret) in the park that is
overgrown in places with PO. It leads, eventually, to a cave with impressive,
old pictographs. I have gone through and cleared the PO so I could show them to
friends. Of course I'm careful not to touch the PO. I wonder if I'm still
immune. I have cleared that trail for the last three years and have not got PO.

Recognize that people vary in their body chemistry. What worked for me my not
work for you. If you try this method do so with caution.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson