[pct-l] packing a gun

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 21:59:49 CDT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 7:44 PM, TOM AND JOANNE BALCOM
<tombalcom785 at msn.com> wrote:

> For those of you who are thinking of carrying a gun, the gun itself is probably 3 to 4 lbs, then the amo is going to be another 1 to 2 lbs unless you are carrying a 22 then why bother.  When I thru hiked in 03 I hiked 1800 miles alone, camping near someone else maybe 6 or 8 times.  The only time I worried was in Northern Ca when I could hear pickups traveling the dirt roads near the trail.  When the trail would cross the roads I would cross quickly and get back in the timber.  If you were to run into some weirdo who may be guarding his pot farm, just remember his gun will most likely be bigger than yours.
>                                                                                                                                                                    Stretch from 03

Just wanted to jump in on this... 3-4 pounds for a gun? Nope ;)

The Ruger LC9 (which recently go approved for California) is 17.1
ounces - uses standard 9mm ammo - and even with a full 8 rounds is
going to be well under 2 pounds.

The rest of what you said was right on - but not this weight part.

Here in Humboldt the DTF/DEA/ICE/DOJ are faced with guys out in the
backwoods (Mexican mafia) who are carrying AK-47's - so like you said,
pretty safe to say that nobody on the PCT is going to be carrying a
gun that could counter one of those.

John