[pct-l] First night out....extended

Andrea Dinsmore andrea at dinsmoreshikerhaven.com
Thu Mar 17 22:47:04 CDT 2011

OK.......guns, bear mace, bows and arrows.......we've been hosting hikers in
the North Cascades and listened to stories and tales for 7 previous years
and never heard anything said about ....."I should have had a gun or any
other weapon for self defence or for the protection of anyone. First of
all.....you smell too bad. The bears don't want indigestion. It's too time
consuming for them to peal off your clothes and socks. If you are a nit wit
you'll leave your food where they can get it probably happen at night when
you're sleeping. If it's under your head, they'll just knock your head aside
and take the food. If you really think you are going to kill a bear or
whatever out of a sleeping state and sleeping bag.....it will probably be
another hiker you are shooting. I can't imagine hiking and sleeping in the
same camp with a nervous Nellie hiker who may shoot at whatever scares him
(or her). You mostly won't be alone......unless you really choose to be.  My
opinion, as a non hiker.....but as a Mom and caretaker of 320 hikers last
season...leave you guns at home. What you do need to do is not leave your
pack unattended. Hike smart.....not smart a$$ stupid.

PCT MOM