[pct-l] Advice for iPhone apps?

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Thu Mar 17 17:39:51 CDT 2011

> > Don't forget to get some 'field guide' apps, too - astronomy, birds,
> > botany (flowers, trees), animal tracks, etc., etc. - learn more of
> > the 'green world' you're walking through & appreciate it even more...

> Any suggestions for this sort of iPhone app?

Please note: I do NOT have a smartphone (yet!) - but have researched both
iPhone & Android apps...  Probably won't get any smartphone until sometime
after the iPhone5 comes out later this year (plus see if Verizon will then
have a 'fully functioning' version)...  There are MANY apps out there!!

Astronomy: Star Walk, Star Map Pro, Moon Globe HD, many others - get a free
moon phase app, too, if you want to try night hiking aided by the moonlight.

Birds: iBird Explorer Plus (or Western), Chirp! Bird Songs USA, *Audubon
Birds - North America, Peterson Birds of North America...

*Audubon has many 'new' app guides & more on the way - some 'combo' apps
such as Birds/Mammals/Wildflowers/Trees or Birds/Butterflies; each combo has
full single item apps at cost savings...  I'd get the '4' pack plus Butterflies
and Insects & Spiders and maybe Reptiles & Amphibians, too, but...Audubon also
has an "Ultimate Nature Series", too - California and Pacific Northwest apps
would be ideal for the PCT...  Decisions, decisions - even for apps!!

Animal Tracks: Falcon Scats & Tracks North America, MyNature Animal Tracks...

That should give you enough to start searching further - if you're going to
carry a smartphone you might as well have some nature guide apps on it - much
lighter than the 'book' versions of yesteryear...

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)