[pct-l] FW: first night out

dnielsen at djmurphycompany.com dnielsen at djmurphycompany.com
Thu Mar 17 17:05:09 CDT 2011

Gerry  - I have carried a gun in the backcountry since I was 16 years old,
going on 50.  It is just how I was raised, not a big deal. Hope for the best
and plan for the worst. I have never brandished it against a human or
threatened with it in any way (close on a few occasions). It is concealed so
that people are not uncomfortable.  I have a CCW etc. but will NOT take a
gun on the PCT due to the potential legal issues in CA. I think in most
cases for most people they are better off without one (absolutely if you are
not well trained and that is a tall order) and certainly better off not
showing open carry as that guy is usually the 1st one shot by the bad guy.
Proper/accessible concealed carry is the only way to go, if you are very
well trained. Unless you are a cop or in the military etc., most people are
not very well trained, even if they think they are.

If anyone is remotely considering bringing a firearm then I would strongly
recommend you take a full CCW class, preferable taught by a law enforcement
professional.  You will really want to leave it home then.

I do feel that there is a legitimate concern about the southern section of
the trail and that is unfortunate. But we live in the real world.  I am
concerned as I have seen what goes on our southern border in AZ and it is
bad stuff.  If there are illegal groups as described south of Lake Moreno
then it seems like the Border patrol should just be camped at Hauser Creek,
and perhaps they are. It is absurd that to me that we should have to feel
uncomfortable camping there.

This will be my 1st trip without a gun and I hope to get comfortable with
that. Still taking the big knife though, baby steps.

Dave