[pct-l] Lost Coast

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 11:37:45 CDT 2011

Yeah, the vast majority of the time it is the "irresponsible dog owners" fault.

A couple days ago I was on one of the most popular trails up here
(Headwater Forest Trail) doing some jogging and I come around a corner
and some guy and his dog are also jogging, and all of a sudden his dog
takes off in a full run at me and 4 or 5 other guys (I was in the
front of the group). Thankfully I had my hiking pole in my hand, it
was the only thing that saved me. Others behind me are sitting there
yelling at the guy to put the dog on a leash, like, you know, is
required by law on that trail. Had the dog been a leash (like the
dozen or so other dogs on the trail that day) I highly doubt an issue
would have flared up. Around here more and more people are starting to
get aggressive towards irresponsible dog *owners* who fail to keep
their dogs on leashes - which is a nice thing to see.

That said, of the dozen or so other dogs on the trail that were under
the control of responsible dog owners, it was a pleasure to be out
there with them and see them enjoying some running and getting out of
their houses/pens/kennels.

John