[pct-l] Lost Coast

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 19:48:09 CDT 2011

uhoh... another dog thread :p

John, I hike with dogs, and like Patti's, mine are friendly. They have no
wish to harm you or anyone else. My largest dog is a Flat Coated Retriever.
He's also the most submissive of my "pack". He will run to people full
speed. He's just excited to make a new friend. He will stop if I call him
though, but I usually decide that based on the other person's reaction. I
announce to them, "he's friendly". If they smile, I let him go. If they look
scared, I call him back. Now his brother, he won't come back when I call.
That's because he's old and can't really hear, but he doesn't run to the
people anymore either hehe. The "little bitch", Sierra, she won't go up to
people. She will go half way and start barking. She's not agressive, but she
sure can be noisy.

I don't blame you for wanting to defend yourself against an aggressive dog,
but if they are still 8-12 feet away, are you really in any danger? I can't
help but wonder how you're interpreting that they are coming at you "with
intent to harm"?

I'm not saying what you did was wrong, but I agree with Ron that having to
pepper spray a dog 3 times in 4 months is a lot, or you have the worst luck
ever!

Now that my wife will be traveling in the truck along with me, I will have
Doc with me on a lot of the trail. Please don't pepper spray him! He's the
biggest sweetheart you'll ever meet. I don't think I'll be taking Sierra
with me though. She's still a puppy and has not learned manners yet.