[pct-l] Central Sierra backpack routes for

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 22:58:24 CDT 2011

In May, I go to the Coastal Mtns, and the Diablo Range.  If she is in
Oakland, check out Henry Coe State Park.  The only CA State Park that is
bigger is Anza borego, and Henry Coe is just south of San Jose.  Probably
one hour from Oakland.  You could backpack for a week or more on trails that
De Anze traversed.  One trail out of China Hole actually goes up a small
river and you have to wade for a mile or two.  My daughter loved it when she
was young, and she took a bunch of students from CAL their over Xmas break.

If you want redwoods, the Skyline to the sea trail out of Los Gatos in the
Santa Cruz Mtns. is beautiful.  If she's willing to drive, the Mtns in back
of Pfeiffer State Park on Big Sur would be my first choice.  Go North and do
the Lost Coast, but that's a bit of a drive.  Closer to home is a day or two
at Pt. Reyes National Sea Shore.  There are too many choices.

Shroomer