[pct-l] Foot enlargement Question

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 21:40:03 CDT 2011

I started sectioning back in '02 , right after my 50th birthday, with a fem
months of training, and crshed and burned early on in '09 9 months worth..
During that that time I went from 91/2 to a 11 1/2.  Last year my feet began
widening, or maybe they were doing it all along and I hadn't noticed; I did
a little over 250 miles sectioning.

The surprise for me was that my forefoot widened as well and I had the onset
of a Morton's neuroma.  This area requires a little bit more than a wide toe
box as going up in size to allow for growth in length naturally leaves your
forefoot further back just shy of the toe box area and potentially
compressed.  The gist of this is that allowing width in the right places may
be every bit as important as preventing you toes from eventually bumping up
against the front of your shoe ( with the loss of toenails that results as
at least one effect ).

Thus, it really isn't just a young persons problem and I think it may
actually be more prevalent with age, er, I mean, maturity. The connective
tissue just isn't as durable and elastic as it used to be.  Still not sure
if there is a correlation where the arch of the foot diminishes.

My favorite thought is that with hikers being released into the wild they
revert to their formal feral selves; much like a pig sheds the physical
traits of domestication and quickly once again becomes a boar with all the
physical transformation which this entails. In my case, I just become an old
bore.

In any event, I will hopefully see you all at kO and on the trail this year!