[pct-l] resupplies

Csilla Tabor csilla.tabor at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 19:38:44 CDT 2011

A few people asked about information from my calls. This is what I got:
- Laguna Mt. Lodge (mile 43): open 9-5 7 days a week. They will hold
packages for $5 each whether or not you're staying there. Write your phone
number and ETA on your package
- Big Bear Hostel (mile 265): someone should be around for package pick-up
at all hours, but check in time is 4pm-10pm-ish. You don't need to stay
there to send packages there, and there's no charge. Check out the resupply
section at bigbearhostel.com for more information, and you find it
particularly useful the guy requested that you pass that info on to the
listserve or other message boards.
- Sierra Country Store (mile 1198): supposedly open M-F 9-6 and S-S 9-7. I
called Saturday afternoon but there was no answer.
- Callahan's Lodge (mile 1727): open daily 7am-9pm. No charge to hold
packages, even if you don't stay there. For $40 you can take a shower, do a
load of laundry, pitch a tent in their yard, have breakfast, and eat an
endless spaghetti dinner.
- Mazama Village Store (mile 1830): supposedly open daily 7am-10pm. I called
Saturday afternoon but there was no answer.
- Lloyd Gust (mile 1990): new address is 990 Yates Dr. Bend, OR 97702. His
landline and cell number are listed on planyourhike, but he prefers his cell
phone (541-604-4494). He requests that you call a few days before getting to
his neck of the woods to give him a heads up, and then call when you get to
Elk Lake, which is 30 min. from him. He can bring your packages to you or
pick you up there and take you to the grocery store, REI, etc. He can also
recommend an inexpensive motel. He said to go to bed instead of Sisters,
because Sisters is tourist-y and therefore more expensive. Planyourhike says
to call him before sending packages to him, but he sounded very eager to
help hikers.
- Stabler Country Store (mile 2188): supposedly open daily 7am-7pm. I called
Saturday afternoon but there was no answer.

I didn't call any post offices, although we plan to send a lot of our boxes
to them. I hope this information helps. Again, everyone I talked to at the
above places was very helpful and generous.