[pct-l] 2010 Trail Operations Year End Review

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 17:05:29 CDT 2011

It may have been there for a little while already, but I just noticed this and
thought folks might be interested.

There is a PDF linked on the PCTA web site that gives an overview of the
maintenance of the trail for 2010.

On the left side of the PCTA site, in the "Featured Links" section, see the 2nd
link titled "2010 Trail Operations Year-End Review."

Of note on page 20:  132,447 hours of volunteer and youth corps crews.  Note
that some of the youth corps crews were funded by stimulus funds, which will not
be available indefinitely.  This temporary increase in stimulus funded hours
will need to be made up by increasing volunteer participation as this funding
for youth corps crews dries up.  See the chart on Page 8 that shows the
substantial increase in hours going back to 2005.  I've been told by PCTA staff
that to properly maintain the trail it would take 200,000 hours a year.  So
there is a ways to go yet.

A summary of the PDF is also found by clicking on the 2010 accomplishments area
in the upper right.