[pct-l] Large Scale Maps

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sat Mar 12 10:02:20 CST 2011

Good morning, Dave,

I usually format, print, and carry one overview map per section.  A feature
of TOPO! software is that the print scale can be adjusted to allow me to fit
a section – large or small – on one 8.5” x 11” page.  I can also save the
image to a file, a sample of which is attached for reference, but I can't
post it to PCT-L.

The sample is printed in “portrait” orientation, but for some sections where
the trail extends substantially east-and-west I can also print in
“landscape” orientation.

I have the PCT waypoints shown as a route on my file, and I save that
configuration – in this case “California PCT.tpo” that you see at the top of
the sample.  The PCT route is shown as the red line.

The little star graphics near the trail, bottom and top, are the location of
Kennedy Meadows and Tuolumne Meadows respectively.  They are for my
reference, and help me when I set up the print.

Note I also have small, red, dotted-line trails shown for Mt. Whitney and
Kearsarge Pass.  These trails do not show on a 1:500K map series so I traced
them on the map at the 7.5’ Map level and opted to display them on the
1:500K level.  Similarly, I can enter and display any number of label boxes,
such as the one identifying “Kearsarge Pass”.  I could also easily trace and
identify any of the other intersecting trails in a section.

In addition to showing an overview of the roads and towns relative to the
PCT, this map would show me that bailing off the trail north of Whitney to
follow Wallace Creek, and subsequently Kern River downstream to
civilization, is probably going to be a daunting task.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09