[pct-l] Best iphone gps app

Bill Burge bill at burge.com
Fri Mar 11 18:14:50 CST 2011

The use of the cell towers can get you an initial fix faster than the GPS chip on the iPhone, but then the GPS chip uses the standard satellite signals to refine that location.

The Halfmile waypoints are the main files you need.  The maps for something like GaiaGPS or TopoMaps have to be downloaded from the topo map servers that their software supports.  GaiaGPS has all the tracking and photo marking and timing and stuff that isn't a lot of use on the Trail.

I second the recommendations of GaiaGPS for mapped locations and TopoMaps, I have both and use them for their different purposes.  BasicGPS is an app that tells you your current location in many different ways that might apply to many different kinds of maps.

Another to look at is Accuterra Unlimited.  The maps are not as good, but they make it REAL easy to get the maps for the trail.  Still, I reach for TopoMaps before I open Accuterra.

(I just now see that the makers of GaiaGPS have offered the map loading, reading and waypoint management functions of GaiaGPS, without all the tracking stuff, as a free app called Offline Topo Maps (catchy name Andrew!  ;-) and I'll be grabbing that right now to try out.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/offline-topo-maps/id376535806?mt=8

AccuTerra Unlimited
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/accuterra-unlimited-maps-gps/id355787609?mt=8

If I had to pick one app (besides the Basic GPS app Halfmile mentions) I'd probably go with TopoMaps.  (It might be Offline Topo Maps, if there is an easy way to enumerate maps to download.) Then you have to do the work of finding the right maps to download.  I'd probably build the lists and download them in sections, not the entire trail.  The app will get very slow and cumbersome with the entire trail loaded.

Bottom line, when I do the trail, I'll probably be carrying a Garmin...  Apple would have to wonders on the battery front to change my mind.

BillB