[pct-l] Best iphone gps app

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 16:57:11 CST 2011

Halfmile is quick!

I've settled on GaiaGPS on my iPhone. It lets you download offline map data
and it will import all of halfmile's waypoints. I'm really liking it. I have
Topo Map too. Halfmile is right, it's nice. I don't like that it doesn't
show the trail on many of the topos. Since I have both, I'll probably use
both. I'm just not sure I'll download the hi res maps in Topo Maps.

As he said, Backcountry Navigator is an Android app, so you can't get it on
the iPhone.

One more thing Will, you were misinformed about the iPhone's GPS needing a
cell tower. It uses satellites just like any other good GPS. It has an
advantage over the GPS only devices, in that it CAN use the cell towers to
help fix your location. They aren't needed though. I've compared it with my
Garmin and DeLorme GPS's, and the iPhone appears to be about the same
accuracy. It's usually within 20 ft. Good enough for me. I'm either right
where I'm standing, or about 10 feet to either side of myself LOL