[pct-l] Pack weight?

ron guay ron.a.guay2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 16:09:30 CST 2011

Exactly.  I'm only a EE, but after thinking about this for a little
while...I thought there may be something to this.  Someone may meed to
research any patents...etc...there may be something to this.  I may take
some serious R&D, but if a system was developed...all but the very hardcore
would use it.  Especially those with a sub 10 base!

You guys on PCT-L are great.  Thanks for the info.
On Mar 10, 2011 3:53 PM, "Kevin Cook" <hikelite at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just calibrate your balloon to suspend your base weight. You can at least
> carry your food and water ;)
> How will you refill the hydrogen you cooked with at town?
>
> My concern would be the balloon blowing around.
>
> You did bring to mind another benefit this might provide. For a nobo
hiker,
> the balloon could provide shade since the Sun is usually at your back.
>
> I know this was all in jest, but now I'm curious. Has anyone tried this? I
> did a quick search and can;t find anything. I wonder what the problems
are.
> Maybe changing elevation causes issues? Would helium escape (hydrogen
would
> make me nervous)?
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Timothy Nye <timpnye at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > Ron,
>> >

>> The preferable approach is the Gourmet pack lightening / stove fuel
>> combination system.
>>
>> I've purchased a surplus weather balloon which I've inflated with
hydrogen
>> and attached at the top of my pack with about six inches clearance. The
>> amount of hydogen used is calibrated to offset the weight of the pack.
The