[pct-l] Pack weight?

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 11:59:26 CST 2011

>  Ron,

The preferable approach is the Gourmet pack lightening / stove fuel
combination system.

I've purchased a surplus weather balloon which I've inflated with hydrogen
and attached at the top of my pack with about six inches clearance.  The
amount of hydogen used is calibrated to offset the weight of the pack.  The
balloon is fitted with a valve and a flexible length of tubing that I've
hooked up to the fire ring of an old Coleman camp stove.  The beauty of this
approach is that as your pack gets lighter with the consumption of your food
the then excess hydrogen is utilized to cook your meals.  Of course, no one
has to worry about fuel spills causing wildfires either.  I've submitted a
prototype to backpackinglight.com for a review and expect to soon bask in
the resulting fame and fortune.