[pct-l] BEARIKADE RENTAL PROGRAM

dnlcyclone at aol.com dnlcyclone at aol.com
Thu Mar 10 08:18:14 CST 2011

There have been a lot of questions about Bearikades, prices, do-I-or-don't-I, "weight-to-capacity,"...go to Bearikade's rental website: https://www.wild-ideas.net/rent.html  Here you will find information about the rentals.  Bearikade charges a small fee of $55 per canister (no matter if it's the Weekender or Expedition) which is an exclusive offer to PCT, CDT, JMT and AT thru-hikers.  Get this:  You give them the dates that you're going to be hiking, they guarantee that you'll receive it within a week before you'll need it.  You're credit card won't be charged until you return it.  You only pay $55 plus shipping.  The man in charge's name is Allen Deforest.  He's a great guy.  When you enter the dates of the time you will be renting the canister into the drop-down categories for beginning and ending dates on the rental form, it will generate an ungodly high price, or as Allen called it, "a king's ransom."  DON'T FREAK OUT!!!  Allen told me that the "king's ransom does not apply;" instead, in the "address 2 cell," enter this: PCT Thru-Hike.  If you do that, you get to rent a canister for as long as you'll be hiking the PCT for $55 plus shipping...and you won't be billed until you ship it back to Bearikade upon finishing your trek.  Excellent deal.  As for questions about weight-to-capacity...do some math.  Look at the volume of each canister and consider the volume required to carry the food that you will actually be carrying, not what you would hypothetically carry in a parallel universe.  Again, it seems like the forum is loaded with questions that could really be answered simply by doing some basic research online...or by reading Yogi's guidebooks!  Hope this helpful.

Cheers,

David Liechty