[pct-l] Bearikade: Weekender or Expedition

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Mar 9 19:41:39 CST 2011

Seriously, consider how much more you are going to be eating if you
are going to be doing a thru-hike. I can easily fit a week's worth of
food in there now, but by the time I hit the Sierras, a typical day
of food was:

~1 full cup of grapenuts with powdered milk, nuts and dried fruit added
Some kind of bar or cookies or poptarts for second breakfast
Some kind of tasty drink as a pick-me-up
Dried fruit and nuts for a snack
Some kind of lunch that could be anything from peanut butter/bagel
sandwiches to crackers and hummus to bars or just more cookies and
snacks
More nuts and fruit, another bar or a candy bar as a snack
3/4 or so cup of dense dried pasta (orzo) or a little more than a cup
of other pasta with cheese powder, cheese, dried veggies
Large candy bar or gummy bears for dessert

Times all that by how many days you plan to go between resupplies and
you'll see that it's questionable whether a Weekender is adequate.

I was roundly criticized on this list for being your "typical
unprepared ultralight backpacker" because I entered the Sierra with a
Weekender that could only hold half my food. I made a trade for a
larger bear canister as soon as I could. I wasn't trying to save
weight. I honestly thought the Weekender was big enough but it was not.