[pct-l] Pack weight?

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 19:05:50 CST 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 4:31 PM, Gerry Zamora <gerry0625 at gmail.com> wrote:
> So basicly minus food and water I should be around 6-12lbs? Maybe 15lbs?

I would say that most of the folks on this mailing list would say you
need to find some lighter gear. The PCT is not just a weekender hiker
where you might be doing 20 miles. Consider the millions of steps with
a 30+ pound pack on your back. Of course, the lighter you go the more
skills that are required.

That said, you could easily shave off half your weight in your big
three, but it would cost you and you indicated you are on a tight
budget.

I would say you could probably get your big three down to the five
pound range very easily, be very comfortable, and for fairly cheap
(granted, I have no idea how much you spent on your existing gear, and
buying gear to replace gear you already have sucks)

This would just be one potential setup:

ULA Circuit = 36 oz
Montbell U.L. Super Spiral Down Hugger #3 = 22 oz
TarpTent Rainbow = 33 oz (recommend this one because it is usually
easier to find this for sale than the Moment)

91 ounces = 5.68 pounds

You could probably get into those three items for $300-$350 if you hit
websites like:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=19
-- probably the best spot to score a used TarpTent
http://www.whiteblaze.net/
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28 -- perhaps
the best place to score a ULA pack

You might have to hunt around for a used MB ULSS but they are out there.

I used this setup for a few years and loved it. I still keep those
three things in my house for when a buddy wants to go out and does not
have any gear.

Here is my own little write up on choosing your gear:

http://www.redwoodoutdoors.com/2011/02/quest-for-less.html

"Your personal psychology must be at a place where your experience
with your gear can keep you safe. My gear list means nothing if my
experience cannot keep me safe with the gear I have. My experience
means nothing if I do not have the where with all to keep my brain
from playing games when I need it the most."

If you are concerned about cold weather, take a look at this data from
last year:

http://mailman.backcountry.net/pipermail/pct-l/2010-December/042944.html

As for your heavy sleeping bag: ask yourself "Do I really need to
carry a zero degree bag (or even a 15) for 2500+ miles when the
average temperature is well above freezing?"

Anyway, go with what you feel most comfortable and safe with. In the
end hiking the PCT should be a thing of awe and wonder and amazing
great memories, not a bunch of memories filled with how much it sucked
because of your gear (be it too much or not enough).

Abela