[pct-l] Bearikade Weekender and Osprey Packs

Jim McCrain jim at mccrain.net
Wed Mar 9 12:48:13 CST 2011

I have used both the Aether 70 and Aether 60 for the JMT.  It is a great pack, with plenty of support for non UL hikers.  I have used it on long expeditions to Denali, Greenland, New Zealand, and all over the US. I will be using the Aether 60 for my JMT hike (#13!) this summer.  The Bearikade Weekender WILL fit both of these packs, laying sideways at the bottom of the pack.  It is a tight fit, but it works.  The Expedition will NOT fit in this manner.  The Expedition will have to stand up in the pack.

For the person asking about wether to use the Weekender or the Expedition: If you are only getting 6 days of food in the Weekender, then you are taking WAY too much food!  I can get 9 full days of food in the Weekender.  Take into consideration, though, that I eat a small breakfast (just a couple of protein bars), take several small but nutritious snacks for lunch, and only have one "big" meal at night.  Still, I can fit 9 days into the can and still have room for other "food smell" type items, such as toothpaste, bug dope, etc..  I know others who can fit even more!

Enjoy that Osprey pack!  Ity may not be ultra-lite, but it is ultra comfrotable!  I'll see you on the trail!

Cheers!

Jim "AdventureGuide" McCrain