[pct-l] Thru-Hiking On A Budget

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:08:17 CST 2011

Joseph wrote:

Also, these are USUALLY the same people who empty trail angel caches, hiker
boxes, and stay at angels houses for free and not put in their share, I have
seen it first hand. We should not encourage this, nor should anyone attempt
putting the well being of their personal hike, in the hands of giving people
who feel sorry for them. By no means, give up on your dreams, just have a
plan, a plan that includes paying your own way. The same unsaid rules apply
to us cheap people as well, do not be greedy with magic. Allow the person
behind you enjoy some Magic as well. Some of the Angels on the PCT are on
fixed incomes, and are the most wonderful people you find anywhere. They
will not say anything to you because, they are here because they love us
all. Do not take advantage of them along the way, your reputation will
follow you.

Strongly agree with this.  Doing the trail cheaply is a fine ambition, if
that's your thing.  Just make sure that you're still hiking (and funding)
your own hike and you're not manipulating everyone around you into funding
your hike for you.  Go as cheap as you want but stay proud.

Eric