[pct-l] SOBO

Austin Williams austinwilliams123 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:05:35 CST 2011

I agree with Barry whole-heartedly.  The June 15 start date is just a
ballpark rule-of-thumb.  Hiking sobo, you have to be a lot more flexible on
your start date, right up to the last minute.  This is because, as a sobo
hiker, you'll be hiking in snow right off the bat, whereas nobo hikers have
a while before they hit the sierras.

Also, if you are hiking sobo BRING A GPS.  I know you will hear people
telling you that you don't need one, but remember, 95% of all PCT hikers are
nobo hikers.  They aren't aware of the nuances of a sobo hike.  Sure, people
have hiked sobo without one.  some have been very lucky having hiked in
low-snow years.  But I promise you... I PROMISE YOU... if you bring a gps on
a sobo hike you will not regret it.   even if you're a gram weenie like me.

You may only use it once or twice, but let me tell you.... that's all it
takes.  :)

You can totally ditch it after you get to Cascade locks.

If you decide not to bring one then make sure you know how to do a
backcountry bail-out (in general, find flowing water, follow it forever
until you find a road, follow road to civilisation.  Works everywhere except
Australia and remote parts of Canada and Russia).

And have fun.  :)

Austin Williams

www.PlanYourHike.com
Info on PCT gear, resupply points, maps, movies, etc.

"*Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; Wisdom is not putting it in a
fruit salad.*"
-Proverb