[pct-l] Thru-Hiking On A Budget

joseph kisner lostonthecrest at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 6 20:45:16 CST 2011

Like most of you, money  determines whether I hike or not. My most recent hikes were done very cheaply, in fact the last one was done so cheap, I do not think I could have saved more than a $100. I actually take pride in being cheap now. But unless she is not including gear, such as shoes, pack [homemade or not], ect... Sugar Mama must know something I am overlooking. I am probably the most minimalistic thru hiker you might find, skip more towns than probably anyone and spend less days on the trail, but I can barely get it down to $1600 + gear. I eat out of my boxes of store bought food, never ever stay in hotels, hostels or anywhere else I might have to leave a donation, and have even made it a point to only have one large meal in town, before departure. My next thru-hike I will squeeze more, not because of any other reason than I just like the fact of being cheap on the trail.
But my main point is this, if you want to have a very inexpensive thru-hike, first be minimalistic and  skip as many towns as possible, while only staying for resupply and meal, never stay in a hotel. I could say from personal experience, that towns are like giant holes in your pockets.
For most hikers, town is as important part of the hike as the trail, and I have been magnetized by town enough to understand. But this is about being cheap.
If I can add just one more comment, do not try to cut cost in your food. Food is more important than any other thing. If you eat bad, you will end up in town, resting and replenishing your body enough to proceed. All wipeouts are food related, and almost all unexpected expenses are town related. I hope this might help.
My quickie breakdown is, $700 pre-bought food, $200 mailing, $700 meals and town bought food, + gear and to and from the trail.. give or take... You could get things from hiker boxes or shop cheap but how can you cut more cost than that? -joe