[pct-l] Contact Lenses ????

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sat Mar 5 09:51:54 CST 2011

> any suggestions, advice or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated !!

'Wrap-around' sunglasses that provide good side protection in windy conditions -
maybe even 2 pair, one being light gray or amber lenses for low light in early
morning or late evening if it's windy, the other fairly dark for the 'desert' &
Sierra snow/granite glare...  'Cheapies' are fine - almost all have UV protection
nowadays - why possibly scratch/wreck/destroy $150-250 sunglasses?

Carry prescription glasses (in hard case) as backup - & take contacts out when in
town every week or so (give the eyes a 'break' from the contacts)...  Get 'newer'
titanium frames for your prescripion glasses - they are extremely lightweight and
nearly indestructible...
My contacts are for distance vision only - I use my prescription glasses for reading
while my contacts are in, but only the 'top' portion of the lenses - but the bottom
portion is then also great for very close up detail work...

Carry spare contacts on trail for when, not if, you lose one; carry cleaning
solution and "Blink", or similar eye drops, too...

Have more spare contacts in your bounce box or included in mail drops - you'll
probably change your extended wear contacts more frequently from being outdoors all
the time than in your normal 'home' or typical lifestyle setting (I wear mine much
longer than 30 days in 'normal' life, but change them out every 2 to 3 weeks when in
the backcountry for extended periods) - your eyes will let you know; when the contacts
start to feel 'scratchy' and eye drops only help for a short time, change them out!

Of course YMMV, yada, yada, etc.  Hope that gives you some ideas...  ;o)

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)