[pct-l] Food question from Mid life Crisis

Eric johner27 at evergreen.edu
Fri Mar 4 22:42:58 CST 2011

All,

Of course, you need to HYOH.  I just find it to be optimal to carry a ratio
closer to 50% fat when I hike :) My body deals with it just fine.  Also,
your body literally does not need carbs:
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2009/8/28/carbohydrates-no-dietary-requirement-but-metabolically-criti.html

This lower carb diet (~50-100g/day in the form of starch/veggies/some
fruit/some nuts) is closer to what I eat when not hiking.

Also some carb consumption from beer.  Dear god, I love me some beer. :)

Have an awesome evening, I'm out!

Regards,
Eric
www.primalpct.com

P.S. More comments below

Dear PCT,

> Yoshi is correct in "optimal" macro-nutrient proportions as carbohydrates
> are the most efficient form of energy for the body.  However, the weight of
> food is a serious issue for long distance hiking and one can get about 2
> times the energy from a pound of nuts than from a pound of cereal product.
> Your body will have to go through extra steps to convert the fat to energy
> but I think a healthy body can deal with this.  Yoshi is still correct as
> far as what is optimal but hauling around more fat is optimal for
> ultra-light distance hiking.  Maybe a 55/60--10/15--25/30 distribution would
> idealize the best of both worlds.
>
> I don't think there is one set macro ratio that will work for everybody.
 However, the "Eat real food" adage by Michael Pollan I agree wholeheartedly
with. I also believe a higher ratio of fat would be beneficial for most.

> Age makes a big difference.  Some of you lean young men with no body fat,
> who are still growing and burning 8,000 kcal/day might want to carry more
> fat just to get enough energy on the trail.  Old people like Yoshi and I
> will want to gravitate more towards "the old person" distribution.  Our
> bodies aren't as efficient and need all the help we can get.  We don't go as
> fast and as far as you sweet young things anyway (-:
>
> This sounds like me :)

> Research is also supporting that slightly and I mean "slightly" more
> healthy (plant based) fat in the diet is actually beneficial in regulating
> appetite, stabilizing the glycemic index spikes in the blood and long term
> cardiovascular health.
>
> I agree, fat is definitely helpful in insulin regulation! Plant or animal,
doesn't matter though.