[pct-l] budget gear list for pct?

dnielsen at djmurphycompany.com dnielsen at djmurphycompany.com
Thu Mar 3 22:20:25 CST 2011

I did not know we were allowed to bring our machetes but mine is now packed.
I love those things.

One item on the budget front I have been testing out is the $20 frogg Toggs
rain suit. Did two pretty heavy rain hikes lately(walked about 8mi each with
it on) and so far I like it better than the gortex/precip stuff, breaths
better and does not get as sticky inside or "wet out" as bad.  It would
never work in heavy brush busting but it has been great on the open trail.
I also use the jacket as my windshirt and with the front zip and hood on or
off options it controls temp well with one long sleeve shirt and beene,
temps 40 -50 range (while walking). The pants and jacket togather weight
less than my previous jacket, about 10 oz. If you get the cheapest one
without the eleastic at the legs you can get the pants on and off over boots
and shoes. I am not ready to give it a full seal of approval but so far it
has worked good for me.  Maybe someone else has more experience with this
product or can speak specifically about any brush/abrasion issues on the
PCT. $20 at Sports Authority.