[pct-l] tent or eyore hut

John Abela pacificcresttrail2011 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:15:54 CST 2011

Anymore, the tarp/tent issue comes down to one factor:

flying insects

To me, "weight" is just no longer an argument in the "tent/tarp" issue
- except for those who are XUL.

I own a double wall, three season, fully enclosed tent that weights 14
ounces [0.88 pounds / 399 grams]. (zpacks hexanet solo)

Can I go lighter than that? Sure. 3.4 ounces for a mld solo cf tarp.

But does that protect me from the flying insects? No.

Your only option than is to huddle up with full clothing, gloves (if
you cannot keep your hands in your sleeping bag) and face/neck nets.

If you can do that and feel like you are enjoying your tip, go for it!
Your entire sleeping setup can weigh under 20 ounces [16oz quilt, 3oz
tarp, 0.8oz head net].

That is the route I take for my 3 pound base weight setup, but when
the bugs start to fly, for me, I'll take the additional 8 ounces for
an insert.

There is also the option of the Gatewood Cape at 11 oz, plus the
insert for the bug season/area at an additional 7 ounces. This gives
you a double wall three season fully enclosed solo setup at 18 ounces,
part of which can double-duty as a rain cover for hiking.

John