[pct-l] Chaos On The PCT (now "Hammock Chaos On The PCT"?)

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Wed Mar 2 14:35:50 CST 2011

> There are places you cannot hang a hammock....

But more places than many would think - & it doesn't have to be 'in trees' necessarily, either...
If there are two support points an appropriate distance apart with sufficient ground clearance in
the middle, one can hang a hammock...
Actually, more times than not, it's much easier to find a 'camp' (hang) spot for a hammock than it
is a flat space large enough for a tent (but also why I was mostly a tarp camper prior to 'hanging'
- easier to find a suitable sleeping bag sized spot than a tent sized one!).
A tarp is also part of a total hammock set-up, so one would still have bad weather 'shelter' if
needed when 'going to ground' if desired or forced to do so...

> Last year hiking with John he had a hammock and slept on the ground every night of the 6 in a
> row we camped together

Perhaps at the time he was more satisfied with enjoying your company instead of the comfort of
hanging in his hammock solo camping...

> ...they call them "tree saver straps."
> You all who hammock, what do you think about this?

Same as Kevin - all the hangers I know use "tree huggers"...  All of mine are 1" polyester straps -
soft enough they don't cut into the bark, and definitely don't harm the cambium layer whatsoever...
It would be nice if the Lake Morena rangers would let one or two hangers 'demonstrate' that hammocking
using tree huggers does not damage trees (especially oaks!) - perhaps allowing hammocks during ADZ in
the future provided tree huggers are used...

Besides Kevin ("Hayduke"), I believe "shybird" wants to hammock the PCT this year, too...
I hope to see/meet both in far NorCal when I'm 'hanging' around the PCT for 3 weeks!!

Happy trails!!!  (and Happy Hanging!!!)
Jim (PITA)