[pct-l] footwear, blisters

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Mar 1 17:03:25 CST 2011

I was never so hydrated as I was on the PCT. I swear I never had so
much water to drink. I know that for most people the trail is really
dry and they suffer, but I hike in places much worse than the PCT and
in 2008 there was a lot of bonus water on the trail. I also tend to
hike at home on the verge of dehydration. I'm totally used to
dehydration, but on the PCT I was waterlogged.

It could have been the goretex in my shoes, but after I traded my
shoes out in Cabazon for some that had no goretex and were just a few
pieces of fabric more than a pair of sandals, I can't say it was
that, either.

Also, shoes I have worn on other trails without blisters gave me
blisters on the PCT.

I can only guess it's the gentle grade of the PCT. It's too
repetitive. I'm used to trails that climb steeply, have lots of rocks
in the trail and that even require me to use loppers and a saw or
crawl on my belly.

Diane