[pct-l] Boots and ankle sprains

Ellen Shopes igellenig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 10:57:40 CST 2011

OK, I'll bite on the 'boots don't really prevent ankle sprains'.
Obviously, the stiffer the boot and the higher it goes, the less likely one
is to sprain an ankle.  At one extreme would be a downhill ski boot, so
stiff that one breaks the tib/fib rather than spraining the ankle.  At the
other extreme, a sneaker or trail runner that offers NO support.  Boots,
while not preventing all injuries, will fall in between the 2.  They do help
some.
For years I wore running shoes on the trails at Grand Canyon.  What I
noticed was the development of a neuroma from foot impact, which I
attributed to the thinner soles that offerred less protection.
I am sceptical of the whole barefoot arguement.  I've seen a lot of bare
feet in 3rd world countries and they are not pretty.  The altered walking
technique might have caused fewer knee or hip injuries, but it was at the
sacrifice of their foot health.
I would be interested in seeing any study that actually compares the
incidence of problems between shoe/boot.  Not a theoretical comparison of
the physics and physiology of walking.
The important thing is to find a shoe/boot that works for you.
Elderly Ellen