[pct-l] all time high snowpack reached

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Jun 29 14:30:18 CDT 2011

Ken,

Juliee heard a local weatherman on TV the other day say that due to the
dense consolidation of the pack, it was like ice and resistant to a quick
melt...

Our recent experiences along the PCT-TRT in the Tahoe area concur with that;
the pack is easy to walk on, softens on the surface during the hot day, and
post-holing is only bad during the afternoon. Hidden hollows around rocks
and logs beneath the pack is one of the greater hazards as falling into one
of these can be pretty hard on the legs and back!

The run-off is growing to record volumes such that the creek crossings are
becoming deadly. Hikers need to take lots of time to find logs and safe
rock-hops up and down from the trail crossing locations and avoid whenever
possible wades through creeks at this stage in the game!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd