[pct-l] [John Muir Trail] Re: Trail Conditions

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Jun 29 13:08:19 CDT 2011

Just a quick update from the Sierra-north:

We just got through Desolation to Miller Creek (1122) and the snow situation is grim. Even for the snow-experienced, the constant kicking of traverse steps, heel-plunging, easing across snow bridges, and the navigation under forest cover is both exhausting and slow. A mile/hour is average. We came out due to illness and a presentation we needed to be present at for the Tahoe Rim Trail Association.

Snow is patchy at 7,500 and solid at 8,000. The patches are 3 to 5 feet thick across the trail up to 8,000 and 4 to 8 feet thick above 8,000 with all lakes still frozen and streams covered. Navigation in the trees is very trying and slow, so make sure you have the current tracks in your GPS units, fresh batteries, and 7.5-minute topos in hand!

More to come. See photos and trail descriptions at www.mountaineducation.org

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education