[pct-l] Forwarded email from Jackalope

goslowgofar goslowgofar at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 26 01:23:44 CDT 2011

There was a problem with the electrical power in Tuolumne Meadows, which is
contributing to the delay in the facilites getting up and running.  There is
still a lot of snow and water up there.  The meadows looked like a lake earlier
this evening.  Tioga Lake still has a layer of ice on it!
Katy
Subj: 6/22 Sierra snow update   I rode across the Tioga Road from Yosemite to
Lee Vining on Wed 6/22:  T. Meadows store/post office was just a shell
surrounded by snow pack.  The canvas top was not up and of course nothing was
inside the shell.  The road had only been opened less than a week. We also went
south to Mammoth Lake and found the road up to Red's Meadows closed due to snow.
The local ranger said it would be 7 to 10 days before it would be cleared.
Couldn't find anyone who would estimate when either place would be open to
receive food drops.  This sounds too much like '05 when Preacher Jim, Dr Bob and
I were trying to go through.  A bunch of guys got up to Manning Park and hiked
South; we jumped to hwy 99 beginning in OR and went North.  It was great meeting
the North bounders coming South!!  I would really appreciate it if you guys
would tell Billy Goat Hi from the Jackalope and also tell him Preacher Jim has
been in China for several years and still doesn't have a girl friend!!  Thanks
and good luck.  Jackalope PCT '05/JMT '06