[pct-l] Forwarded email from Jackalope

twolegs at roadrunner.com twolegs at roadrunner.com
Sat Jun 25 11:11:15 CDT 2011

From: Jackalope96 at aol.com [Jim Tennant]
To: pct-l at backcountry.net
Sent: 6/24/2011 11:16:51 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time
Subj: 6/22 Sierra snow update

I rode across the Tioga Road from Yosemite to Lee Vining on Wed 6/22:  T. Meadows store/post office was just a shell surrounded by snow pack.  The canvas top was not up and of course nothing was inside the shell.  The road had only been opened less than a week.
We also went south to Mammoth Lake and found the road up to Red's Meadows closed due to snow.  The local ranger said it would be 7 to 10 days before it would be cleared.
Couldn't find anyone who would estimate when either place would be open to receive food drops.  This sounds too much like '05 when Preacher Jim, Dr Bob and I were trying to go through.  A bunch of guys got up to Manning Park and hiked South; we jumped to hwy 99 beginning in OR and went North.  It was great meeting the North bounders coming South!!
I would really appreciate it if you guys would tell Billy Goat Hi from the Jackalope and also tell him Preacher Jim has been in China for several years and still doesn't have a girl friend!!  Thanks and good luck.

Jackalope PCT '05/JMT '06