[pct-l] Is it too late for Southern Ca?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jun 18 12:25:32 CDT 2011

What kind of heat can you handle? It's 100 degrees in Palm Springs
these days. You'll be hiking at the same altitude in at least one
place. The good news is that it was a wet winter so there's a lot of
water compared to drier years.

I don't know what it's like south of Highway 74, but a couple weeks
ago we hiked in the San Jacintos and there was plenty of water up
there and even some water still flowing in the desert on the way down
to Snow Creek. Might be dry by July, though, but you have the faucet
and the hose at the windmills.

I know someone considering hiking Section C from Cabazon to
Wrightwood in July. I think it'll be hot but completely doable.
There's water in Whitewater and Mission Creeks and plenty of water in
the Big Bear area and the creek beyond Deep Creek was flowing nicely
just a month ago so ought to still have some water in July. It might
be a little tough between Cleghorn Peak and wherever the next
drinkable water is before Wrightwood, but there's the McDonalds to
help out and water could be cached ahead of time at Swarthout Cyn Rd.

So if you really can handle upper 90s and low 100s, I think this is a
good year to summer hike in So Cal. A lot of people will think I'm
nuts, but there really are people who hike in those kinds of
temperatures. Trailhacker is one of them, sometimes purposefully
going out on crazy hiking trips when it's over 100, carrying a gallon
of water and going out with his loppers to hack away at Hurricane
Deck in the Los Padres (notorious waterless overgrown trail) even
when he doesn't feel well. He's nuts.

Diane