[pct-l] Tahoe snow conditions

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jun 13 22:56:04 CDT 2011

To add to what Dittli said,

As we wind around Lake Tahoe on the beautiful Tahoe Rim Trail, we have found the following snow conditions:

Patches of snow at 7400 and solid at 8,000 depending on the aspect of the hill.

Creeks and lakes are all frozen over with secure snow bridges above 8,000.

The snow is hard and consolidated to about 10:00, thereafter, the top 4 inches is soft to around 1:00pm when you have to start worrying about post-holing to 12 inches or more.

Snow shoes are not needed along the east side of the Lake's Rim, but crampons early in the morning are.

Following a narrow ridgeline is much more difficult than following the PCT or JMT up and down valleys or over Passes!

Traversing all day in snow is very hard on the leg muscles, especially when on a hard surface and kicking foots constantly!

Follow Halfmile's GPS coordinates, always look up and watch for your high navigation reference points so you know where you are about to go, and know how to "read" a topo map in 3-D.

6 to 8 miles per day is quite nice, 10 is able if in shape, and 15 makes for a long day. One mile per hour is as fast as you're going to go over snow. Start early to cover as much "ground" as you can before the snow softens and slows you down!

If you want more snow skills training, consider the Courses we're still teaching, http://mountaineducation.org/

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education