[pct-l] self-charging phone

David Lippke lippke.list at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 22:01:11 CDT 2011

I'm afraid the math and physics say that anything able to extract enough
energy to charge a smart phone (orders of magnitude greater than that
required by a watch) will be felt as resistance fighting your own movement
-- something like what you feel when you rotate a gyroscope or move a
spinning top off axis, i.e., enough to be considered a nuisance.  In the car
situation the resistance is used to brake but in this case it will be
effectively braking you.

I'd love for something like this to exist but am just warning that it won't
come without noticeable physical cost.   The cost might be acceptable to
some but I doubt it would for most.

Hmm.. I just thought of a better analogy.   Imagine carrying a 10 foot
flexible pole horizontally with weights on each end.   The weights would bob
up and down as you walked.    That would be about what it'd feel like if
there was such a device out there (even though it wouldn't physically *be*
that).

Just trying to keep things "real" .. :-}

>From Mojave,
    "Biker Dave" of "Hiker and Biker"