[pct-l] Advice to a beginner about crossing Sierras

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jun 6 12:41:09 CDT 2011

We respect what Shroomer has to offer in saying, "If no one in your group
has experience, I say wait."

True, but imbedded in that advice is the attitude among thru hikers that "if
I find out along the trail that something I'm going to have to do is risky
or for which I am not prepared to deal, I'll just hang with someone who does
and learn from them." This scares the heck out of us. Groups don't always
stick enough together during the day to stay cohesive or attentive to each
other's inexperience.

What happens in reality is the inexperienced travel with the supposed
"experienced," somewhere, often, back in the group as they fly up the trail.
The experienced leader, out in front, for the most part does what he does to
negotiate the hazards over the snow and isn't aware of the skills
limitations of those with him. We have watched groups go through the Sierra
last year like a marching band (at least the core group that could keep up
with each other), unconcerned about even the members of their own group who
were struggling with a creek or Pass crossing miles back or more.

So, this is just a "caution" to the unprepared and inexperienced who assume
that "it will all work out" when they step foot into the unknown and wild.
The help you hope will be there when you need it may not be. Is that ok with
you and are you prepared for that possibility?

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd