[pct-l] Advice to a beginner about crossing Sierras

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jun 6 11:02:45 CDT 2011

Ok, Ok, let me get in on this one...

First of all, I agree whole-heartedly with what Ken and HR said, the
condition of the Sierra is too dangerous for a beginner to even think of
doing a "summer conditions" hike. Not wise.

As Scott said, Mountain Education may train hikers in how to deal with snow,
ice, creek crossings, etc., in order to build their confidence and safety
since they must travel through the conditions present during a heavy snow
year, but if you can delay your start or entry date, certainly do so. Don't
throw yourself into situations for which you are unprepared.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd