[pct-l] Hiker Trash

Alley Kitten alleykitten at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 16:41:55 CDT 2011

Mayhaps a bit of "social humiliation" is in order ;) This is something my
husband and I do just about everywhere we go. If you're camping in an area
where there are other people around, make a big, loud deal about picking up
trash. Or, if your trailmate is stashing their own trash, make a big to-do,
"Oh man! You're so awesome! I'm so glad I'm traveling with someone who cares
enough to pick up their trash! I can't believe what PIGS there are out
here!" People who are irritated along with you will laugh... Pigs will be
embarrassed, realize people are watching them and might be shamed into
cleaning up after their nasty selves ;)

[This started when I would take my niece places with me. And, I'd say stuff
like, "I'm so glad I happen to be here with the ONLY kid who knows how to
follow the rules!" I do it to strangers, too: "Wow! I can't believe we
managed to get in line with the best behaved kids in this store!]