[pct-l] Advice to a beginner about crossing Sierras

Hernandez hernand at magicriver.net
Sun Jun 5 15:43:07 CDT 2011

Seconding what Ken said.

HR HuffnPuff

-----Original Message-----
From: pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net [mailto:pct-l-bounces at backcountry.net]
On Behalf Of Ken Murray
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2011 9:58 AM
To: .
Subject: [pct-l] Advice to a beginner about crossing Sierras

It is doable.  However, having just got back from Whitney Portal, and having
seen my friend Laura's pictures of her solo ski trip into the Evolution
Basin a week ago....you are talking about a serious snow trip, in which you
are not likely to see much dirt on this trip.  Ned's recon demonstrated the
microspikes just didn't help.  It snowed yesterday, throughout the Sierra,
meaning that the melt is delayed, again.  So...if you are not prepared
physically and mentally for a snow travel and snow camping expedition,
undertanding off-trail navigation, dealing with sub=zero temps, dealing with
avalanche issues, and being absolutely totally alone.....This is not the
time to do it.  For highly experienced people, it would be a great trip.
For "beginners", it has the makings of an epic.

Pictures from a week ago:

 https://picasaweb.google.com/101300327436768508374/2011TransSierra#

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Hey everyone.  My friends and I are eager to section hike from Walker Pass
to Echo Lake, California, starting in a week.  Reading about all the crazy
snow conditions is making us hesitant about this plan.  We have ice axes and
kahtoola microspikes, but little to no snow hiking experience.  In your wise
and all-knowing opinion, is it doable for us to hike through the Sierra's
this year?  Or would it just be too dangerous to risk?  Would you recommend
pushing the trip south and hiking through the desert, instead?  Thanks all!
Happy hiking.

To unsubcribe, or change options visit: