[pct-l] advice on start date?

beth hardin hardin at nc.rr.com
Wed Jun 1 15:54:55 CDT 2011

Hi,

My son and a friend have been planning for a while now to hike part of the PCT starting June 23 -- Cascade Locks  to Manning Park. Do people start this early in Washington? They have a June23-Aug 8 window, so if Washington is not a good idea, could you suggest another section (if it's not too late for them to switch gears at this point). What about hiking south through Oregon... is it likely to be any less snow-covered? There is so much information out there but I can't really find anything on when to start particular sections. I think they can deal with a little snow, but I don't think they want this to be a snow hike.

I really appreciate any advice I can pass along.
beth