[pct-l] Down or synthetic (camp booties)

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Jun 1 19:57:35 CDT 2011

On Jun 1, 2011, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Curious what other people prefer to use...my feet get pretty chilly at
> night, so having an extra something on in the bag with me would be
> lovely
> (and cut down on the number of hothands I end up carrying with me!).
>
> Puddlejumper

I cut the sleeves off a synthetic fleece sweatshirt. I sewed a little
elastic in the larger ends. I slip those on and can pull them up to
my knees for leg warmers or leave them down around my ankles as feet
warmers. When I need to walk outside, I just stick my feet out. I can
use them as a pillow when not on my legs. I can use them on my arms
to give me a little more warmth during the day, too. They make a good
pot cozy at dinner time, too.

I've also found that washing my feet helps sometimes, if it's not too
cold to wash them.

Diane