[pct-l] Hike the coast

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 28 23:11:56 CDT 2011

John,

Another fantastic and challenging trail to consider is the Lost Coast. Trail high on the cliffs, great views, beaches, creeks coming down to the sea. Lots of wildlife - sea mammals, birds, and possibly Roosevelt Elk when you get north of Bear Harbor. Start NOBO from Usall, which was the location of an old logging town - now there is a public campground and a great beach there. Hike through redwoods cliffs and ocean views to Bear Harbor and then continue north.  To get there go east on Highway 1 from 101 at Leggett. You would have to watch very closely for the turnoff (when I was last there, three years ago, there was no sign but someone had painted an arrow on the pavement) to go north on a very narrow, steep, and winding road over the mountain and then down to Usall, which is in Mendocino County. Trail starts from the campground.

MendoRider