[pct-l] PCT post office closures

Ken Powers ken at gottawalk.com
Wed Jul 27 19:33:03 CDT 2011

This whole thing reminds me of the Postal Service stopping the delivery of
US Mail to the "in holdings" in Idaho's wildernesses. These are ranches that
were established long before the lands became wilderness. The people living
there depend on the mail delivery by airplane for their food and almost
everything else. Much of Idaho raised a big flap. They found a recent speech
made by the Postmaster General in which he stated the postal service would
deliver mail to all postal customers on a regular basis. That pretty much
ended the discussion. The contractors who flew the mail into these remote
areas even got a new contract with an increased fee.

We mailed several ICT re-supply boxes to these backcountry in holdings by US
mail. When the boxes arrived at various small airports around Idaho they
were flown into the postal patrons on their weekly postal deliveries. We
even called the contractors and told them we were shipping fuel canisters in
the boxes. They laughed and said no problem. When we picked up the packages
we found that they also deliver 55-gallon barrels of  fuel to these sites.
It was interesting seeing the way these ranches worked. No phone service
(not even cell), but TV and internet service via satellite. No roads near
them, but golf cart style vehicles and tractors all over (flown in by
helicopter).

Now if we could get the Idahoans interested in hitching. I grew up in Idaho
and I remember hitching a few times.

Ken