[pct-l] 5 fingers shoes

Devon Taig devon.taig at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 19:43:39 CDT 2011

Regarding minimalist footware - I just walked 150 miles in a pair of Reebok
Real-flex running shoes.  These are probably 1/2 the weight of typical
running shoes...probably 1/4 the weight of hiking boots.  These are without
a doubt the best things I've ever had on my feet for hiking on a trail.  I
know people go on and on about "ankle support" or whatever (of which these
shoes have none), but I can tell you that these shoes, because they bend so
much around rocks and such, offer really impressive traction.  I suppose if
I had rolled my ankle, it might have been worse in these shoes than a pair
of stiffer boots, but because I felt so sure-footed, it felt like the chance
of that were much much less.  And while it is true that they will easily get
wet, they'll dry 10 times faster (that's not an exaggeration) than just
about anything else. Although you would probably need 8 pairs of these
things to tackle 2600 miles, I'm pretty dang impressed.

River