[pct-l] (no subject)

John Abela abela at johnabela.com
Tue Jul 26 11:14:30 CDT 2011

The Merrell Barefoot is 175 grams and provides pretty much zero sole
protection (you do realize the PCT is full of rocks, sticks, cacti,
shale, and road, right?).

A pair of Inov-8 x-Talon 212 or the slightly lighter 190 (not
advisable for the PCT) would offer you a slight bit better sole
protection for meer grams more.

http://www.redwoodoutdoors.com/2011/04/my-thoughts-on-inov8-shoes-for-hiking.html

But honestly, unless you have hundreds of miles in nosole shoes
already, it would be just plane stupid to even consider hiking the pct
with them. I have hundreds of miles on my Inov8 Talons (both versions)
and there is no way I would attempt to hike the PCT with them. Maybe
(very very small maybe) I would consider the 212's for some sections,
but that would be very few sections. Just too many things out on a
trail that can push through these type of nosole shoes and go right
into your foot and cause the end of your trip, or a long down-time.

As for the vibramfivefingers, there are many stories about those
stupid things (stupid from a thru-hike perspective) over the last two
years where people started with them, and quickly realized, they just
don't work.

Others might differ with me of course. And, of course, there are those
who hike in sandals who will probably differ with me as well.

Try reading the book "Skywalker--Highs and Lows on the Pacific Crest
Trail" for an intense story of what can happen when you wear the wrong
kind of shoes while trying to hike the PCT :-D

John