[pct-l] Starting a thru-hike in January from San Diego?

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Jul 25 12:15:05 CDT 2011

Wow. Ok, this is what we'd say to that one:

If this is the only time you have to work with,
- stay out of the unconsolidated, powder snow wherever it may be (avalanche
and fatigue issues)
- spend your time at low elevations in SoCal until the snow consolidates,
about mid-March
- hike the remaining lowest sections first, say up to Kennedy Meadows
that time
- head into the Sierra as late as you can. We have entered as early as
mid-April from KM
- forget going southbound, obviously.

Otherwise, we would not recommend your schedule for avalanche and personal
injury reasons and you might need to consider just doing sections as you
can.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education